Have you seen the popular trend of making side edge cards? Some may refer to them as over the edge cards. I can see why this trend is taking shape. See what I did there? Let me show you how easy it is to design these side edge cards in Cricut Design Space!
WHAT IS A SIDE EDGE CARD?
Table of Contents
Basically, a Side Edge Card or an Over the Edge Card is a card that is designed so that one or more images on the card is designed so the edge of the image or images flows over either the side of the card or over the edge of the card.
A simple example is shown below:
Now, please keep in mind there are many variations of the side edge or over the edge card designs.
Honestly, the sky is the limit when it comes to designing your own version. It is so much fun!
WHY DESIGN A SIDE EDGE CARD?
Designing cards utilizing the different shaped edge cards really sets your card apart from the typical straight square or rectangle edge cards.
- It will make your card pop!
- Your image will flow better than always having sharp edges
- You can create fun shapes that pleases the eye
- Increases your creativity by utilizing the countless options now available
- Adds that something little extra to the typical straight edged card
- It helps nudge you into thinking “outside” the box!
Before I list just a few variation ideas for you, let me show you how EASY it is to design a basic side edge card. This video will show you the simple process that you can expand on when you want to.
VIDEO: HOW TO DESIGN A SIDE EDGE CARD IN CRICUT DESIGN SPACE
SIDE CARD AND OVER THE EDGE CARD VARIATION IDEAS
Oh my goodness! Once you start designing these types of cards, the ideas will just start flowing! I wasn’t kidding when I mentioned the sky is the limit. I will list just a few ideas to get your creative juices started.
- Instead of just the side edge design, make it flow to the bottom of card as well
- Don’t forget to utilize this concept for cards that open top to bottom instead of side to side
- Use multiple images, each having their own layer flow to the side edge (think small flowers as a background image with a larger single flower as the top layer, both flowing over the edge
- Adding 3-D layered images to a side edge card
- Incorperate print the cut images into your design
- Absolutely use different cardstocks, textures and bling!
- If making the top side of card the over the edge but the back of card is straight edge, here is a golden opportunity to have fun card stock that will blend or contrast with the top of your card!
- Utilize photos that you can shape and print with a portion going over the side
- You can also use photo paper to print on if you want a glossy image!
Ok, you can see how I could keep going and going. I am hoping you can see just how fun these cards can be to make.
One important thing to remember when making these Side Edge or Over the Edge Cards is not to forget you may want to fit it inside of an envelope to give or send.
I tend to start my design with the envelope size I plan to use, so I don’t accidentally make the card too wide or tall.
LINKS TO BOTH SIDE EDGE CARD DESIGNS
If you are an Access Subscriber with Cricut you can use my links below to make these same cards for free. If you are not an Access Subscriber then you will likely be charged for some or all of the images I used in these designs. In either case, you can look at the files without being charged if you use the free software of Cricut Design Space.
Let me know if you have any questions or even share some ideas or versions you have created so others can be inspired by your creations in the comments below!
Let’s all help each other and “create with love”.
♥♥♥ If you found this post or video helpful or want to save it for later, please pin and share the love ♥♥♥
I appreciate your sharing and support ♥
LOOKING FOR MORE CARD PROJECTS?
- Valentine coloring cards with FREE SVGS
- 12 Cricut Valentines Day Cards
- Rainbow Bridge Drawing Card
- Cricut Anniversary Card
- Spiral Betty Photo Sticker Card Idea
Have a beautiful day!